Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Can I move to a different university?

Moving boxesIf you're not happy with your current university, you can move to a new one - but think carefully first.

How to transfer directly

It's sometimes possible to move straight from one university to another, usually in the first few weeks of your first year, or between years if the courses are similar enough. If you've decided this is the right thing for you, these are the steps you need to take (although things might work differently depending on your university.)

  • Contact the university you want to move to. You need to find out whether they will accept you onto the course. You'll need to have your exam results and other information on hand.
  • If you want to transfer during a year, you'll need to get a confirmation from the new university to show to your current university. If you want to transfer between years, you should apply to the new university using UCAS, using the option on the form to select which year of the course you want to start on.
  • Take your offer of a place and talk to your tutor or head of department to arrange when you will be leaving.

How to leave and reapply

This is the do-it-yourself method of transferring - dropping out of your current course and starting all over again with your UCAS Form.

  • First, you'll need to talk to your tutor and let them know that you want to leave. They'll help to make sure you've thought carefully about your choice and let you know what you need to do next.
  • Depending on your university, you might have to fill in a form or go to a meeting to make it official. Your tutor or student services can help you with this.
  • Inform your country's Student Finance company that you've left. They need to make sure you get the right student finance - you might find you have to return some of your loan or grant, for example.

Once you reach this stage, you're back on familiar ground. It's time to head back to the UCAS website and start your new application.

Transferring can affect your student finance

There are a few ways that switching university can affect the student finance you're entitled to, so check with your country's Student Finance company before you move. You might end up with less money or have to pay some of your own tuition fees.

  • If you start again in a new academic year, you might not be entitled to loans and grants for your full course, because you've already "used up" a year of your entitlement.
  • The amount you're entitled to might have changed - for example, you get a larger loan if you're studying in London, so if you transfer from a London university to one elsewhere you might have to return some of your loan.

What if I just want to change course?

Take a look at our guide to changing your course.

Related links