Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Registering with a doctor

doctorWhen you move to a new area, you will need to be registered with a doctor to keep your body healthy. Read on to find out how to get started.

Registering with an NHS doctor or General Practitioner (GP)

The first step is to find your local GP/Doctors’ surgery. Some doctors’ surgeries will only accept patients if they live within their catchment area so make sure you register with the correct one.

What next?

Once you’ve found a doctors’ surgery, you need to register as an NHS patient. Go into the surgery and speak to the receptionist who can tell you whether you live in the correct catchment area and whether the surgery is taking on new patients.


If you fit the criteria, you need to complete a registration (GMS1) form, which the receptionist will give you. Some surgeries may ask for proof of your new address in the form of a bill, and proof of ID.
Your medical records from your old doctor will then be transferred to your new surgery.
If the surgery is not taking on any new patients or you don’t live in the catchment area, you may be refused. If this happens, find another GP/Doctors’ surgery or contact your local Primary Care Trust.

What can they help me with?

A whole range of services, including:

  • advice on health problems
  • physical examinations
  • diagnosing symptoms
  • family planning and sexual health
  • prescribing medication, repeat prescriptions and other treatments

More about the services you can expect from your local doctor or GP

How do I make an appointment?

You can book a doctors’ appointment over the phone or make an online doctors’ appointment

Related links