Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Student services

Student services are there to help you through your time at university – and into the world of work afterwards.

Everyone has tough times at university, but there’s no need to struggle through them alone. All universities have student services departments, which employ trained advisers and counsellors to provide you with support whether you’re having trouble meeting your deadlines, need help making financial ends meet, or are having personal problems. But they’re not just there for the bad things in life. Student services departments also run sports programmes to help your health, and have careers advice centres to research your job prospects after graduation.

Student services departments normally cover:

  • Careers advice: help with CV-writing and gaining employability skills for your future career, as well as finding a part-time job during your studies.
  • Finance: help with applying for student finance and budgeting your money, as well as a source of advice on discretionary funding like hardship funds if you get into financial difficulty.
  • Accommodation: the accommodation department normally runs the university’s own halls of residence, and can also help with finding private accommodation.
  • Health: confidential help and advice about any health issues, from sexual health concerns or worries about drug abuse to mental health issues such as depression.
  • Disabilities: help for disabled students.
  • International students: help for international students.
  • Childcare: help for student parents, such as providing nursery places and information about specific grants and funding.
  • Equality and diversity: working to prevent discrimination on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation and religion, and helping anyone experiencing bullying of any kind.
  • Chaplaincy: advice on faith-based issues from representatives from different religions.
  • Academic: help for students having troubles with their course, such as stress over exams or needing time off to deal with personal problems.

You can normally drop in or make appointments to see student services advisers face-to-face during office hours. You can also speak to them by telephone or contact them by email, and you’ll find details on your university website. Student Unions can also provide another source of independent advice on certain issues.

Related links