Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Teacher training in schools

Teacher standing at front of classroom by blackboard.If you're keen to get into the classroom as soon as possible, school-based teacher training may be for you.

School-centred initial teacher training (SCITT)

On a SCITT course, you'll spend a year in a school undergoing training and getting practical experience. You'll be trained by experienced teachers from the school you are based in or another school that is part of the same training network. At the end of the course, you'll gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), and often a PGCE, awarded by an affiliated university.

School Direct

School Direct is very similar to other school-based training: you'll train in a school for a year to gain QTS, and often a PGCE. The difference is that you are taken on by the school with the expectation that you will be offered a job there once you have finished your training. Because of this, it can be tougher to get a place on a School Direct course, and you'll need to be selected by the school itself as well as the training provider.

If you have been working for around three years, you can apply for the School Direct Training Programme. This is a more work-based option: you'll be employed by the school as an unqualified teacher and paid a salary while you train.

Fees and funding

Unless you're on the School Direct Training Programme, you won't be paid while you're training. However, you may be able to get a bursary or scholarship, and you can apply for the same maintenance loan as undergraduate students.

The teacher training bursaries are based on the subject your degree is in and the class you achieved. For example, if you have a biology degree, you will receive £15,000 if you got a first, £12,000 if you got a 2:1 and £10,000 if you got a 2:2. You can see the full list of bursary levels on

For physics, maths, chemistry and computing, scholarships of £25,000 are available from the relevant professional bodies. You can't get both a scholarship and a bursary.

There are also tuition fees for school-based training. These vary from course to course. A tuition fee loan is available to cover the full cost of these fees. This works in the same way as the tuition fee loan for undergraduate courses.

How to apply

You apply for all of these courses through UCAS, in the same way as you apply for an undergraduate degree. You'll also need to apply for your loans and grants from the Student Loans Company.

If you are eligible for one of the training bursaries, there's no need to apply for it: you'll get it automatically. However, you do need to apply for the scholarships. This is done through the professional bodies that run them:

Related links